Here is an article we all need if we are interested to go online to a virtual rare book fair. Most people instinctively understand that when you go to a brick and mortar book fair you know how to navigate to and through it. As to the new virtual book fairs you have to get the hang of it. To help us Rich Rennicks, content creator and publicist for the ABAA, is dispelling some of the mystery
How does one shop an ABAA Virtual Book Fair?
Our Virtual Book Fairs combine the convenience of online commerce with the community of in-person book fairs. Just like at an physical book fair, you will be able to:
- browse the inventory of many exhibitors, but now with the advantage of only having to check out once no matter how many exhibitors you purchase from!
- speak with the exhibitors in real time, via digital tools like FaceTime and Zoom.
- be among the first to have the opportunity to buy newly acquired or cataloged items from the most-reputable dealers in the business.
- shop the fair for a set time only. Our virtual book fairs last for 2-4 days. So arrive early, make a plan to visit the exhibitors you know, and find the material you want!
By exhibitor — Browse your favorite booksellers first (organized alphabetically)
By aisle — It’s a big fair, and you’ll want to see every exhibitor. In this case our aisles correspond to geographic region.
By product type — Are you particularly interested in maps or photographs? In search of autographs or ephemera? Hunting certain modern first editions? — This is another way to zero in on the items of most interest to you.
By budget — Shop items under $500 and don't get distracted by the big-ticket items (as amazing as those may be).
By specific item — A keyword search will quickly show you the item(s) you want without having to spend hours walking the show floor!
How is an ABAA Virtual Book Fair different from a physical book fair?
Unlike a traditional antiquarian book fair,
- there is one universal shopping cart. — You can buy from various exhibitors and only have to check out once!
- the ABAA Virtual Book Fair is open 24 hours a day! (Note: while you can shop in the middle of the night if you so choose, our exhibitors will be observing booth hours so they can rest and stay on top of their game.)
- you don’t need to book airplane tickets or hotels to visit this fair! Just make sure you have a comfortable chair, a reliable internet connection, and your beverage of choice by your side! — Beverages in the booth? Now there’s something you can’t do at a physical book fair!
How is an ABAA Virtual Book Fair different from an e-commerce website?
Unlike a conventional e-commerce website,
- items will not remain available until sold -- The fair closes at 10pm on June 7, and items will not be available to browse or buy after that time!
- each exhibitor has designated hours they will be available to answer your questions.
- all items are new-to-market. Exhibitors have pledged to offer new material that has not been offered for sale elsewhere in, at minimum, a month before the opening for the ABAA Virtual Book Fair.
How is an ABAA Virtual Book Fair the same as our other business channels?
All exhibitors are ABAA members, so the accuracy of their descriptions and the quality of their service are guaranteed!
Exhibitors are the most-experienced and trusted dealers in the business with long histories and deep knowledge. You’ve known them for years and know you can count on their honesty and expertise.
The next ABAA virtual book fair will be the California Virtual Book Fair, March 4-6, 2021. Free tickets are available here...
All ABAA Virtual Book Fairs take place at abaa.org/vbf