The Ampersand Club History
Ampersand is the oldest organization of its kind in this area; founded in 1930 by Frank K. Walter and Arnett W. Leslie, the sixteen member group became The Ampersand Club at the suggestion of writer Christopher Morley. In 1979, the members voted to extend their activities and formed a nonprofit corporation so that the organization could grow in size and in the scope of its offerings to the community. On November 19, 1930, a group of sixteen men who shared an interest in books, fine printing, and the book arts were called together by Frank K. Walter and Arnett W. Leslie to form a book club. After five years of being called The Unnamed Book Club, the name Ampersand was adopted at the suggestion of Christopher Morley. The name indicates, in the words of Emerson G. Wulling, a charter member of the Club, "the miscellaneous components of the group and its literary and typographical amity." On February 2, 1979, the members of The Ampersand Club voted to expand their activities and to form a non-profit corporation.
Meetings are held at least five, and frequently as many eight, times a year. Programs often feature a distinguished speaker from outside the region or from abroad. Some meetings have been focused on presenting the works of a particular fine press; others involve a scholarly or historical presentation. Keepsake items of interest are often distributed. A part of the evening is set aside for conversation and refreshments so that members have the opportunity to talk about their mutual interests.
Any individual who supports the purposes of Ampersand is eligible for membership, which is on an annual, renewable basis. Each year an Honorary member, recognized for service to the book arts, may be enrolled by a majority vote of the membership at the annual meeting in November. At the present time, the club roster stands at more than 100 members.
|Address1||212 North 2nd Street|
|State / Province||Minnesota|
|On the Web|