Blacksparrow Auctions: their first sale
- by Bruce E. McKinney
Images of interesting lots
Fong Sam of Los Angeles has organized Blacksparrow Auctions to sell collectibles within the categories of pop culture, posters, entertainment memorabilia, 20th century, contemporary and historical memorabilia. His first sale, on February 10th, is The Arthur Ronnie Collection: Books & Autographs, and in a uncommon departure from auction house custom, will be fully unreserved. It begins at 11:00 am PST. “The material is very appealing and every item will be sold.” This will not be Mr. Sam’s first experience in the rooms. For the past 14 years he’s been involved in all aspects of the auction trade working for and working his way up at Profiles in History.
Public viewing is from February 4th to the 9th at the James Gray Gallery in the Bergamot Station Art Center, 2525 Michigan Avenue, Building D4, Santa Monica, California 90904. The sale will also be conducted here.
The following description of the material is taken from a news release prepared by the firm.
This is an unprecedented selection of over 200 lots assembled by an individual collector who personally interviewed many of the authors and obtained autographs for over 70 years throughout his career as a newspaper reporter and as a publicist in the entertainment field. The collection features presidents, explorers, aviation, and Hollywood entertainment. A few of the many highlights include:
· Under the North Pole: The Wilkins-Ellsworth Submarine Expedition, Lincoln Ellsworth’s copy
· 20 hrs. 40 min. Our Flight in the Friendship. The American Girl, First Across the Atlantic by Air, Tells Her Story, Amelia Earhart’s personal copy with piece of fabric from the Friendship
· The Fun of It: Random Records of My Own Flying and of Women in Aviation, Amelia Earhart’s copy with her bookplate and signature, as well as the signatures of other early aviatrixes
· The Spirit of St. Louis, Presentation Edition signed by Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Otto W. Timm, and Bud Gurney
· WE. The Famous Flier’s Own Story of his Life and his Transatlantic flight, together with his views on the future of Aviation, Signed Limited Edition, additionally signed by T. Claude Ryan, Otto W. Timm, and Bud Gurney
· Memoirs by Harry S. Truman, both volumes inscribed
· The White House Years: Waging Peace, 1956-1961, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Signed Limited Edition
· Listen! The Wind and North to the Orient, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, each book signed by Anne Morrow Lindbergh and Charles Lindbergh